Markon First Crop (MFC) Red, White, and Yellow Onions are readily available in the Northwest. Rain and thunderstorms have curtailed Mexican onion harvests and delayed the start of the Texas season.
Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and Washington
- MFC Red, White, and Yellow Onions are expected to be on the market in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington through the end of April
- Supplies of MFC Red, White, and Yellow Onions will begin to wind down in Utah by mid-April
- Late-season storage onions have golden, cured skins, but may occasionally be softer than usual, and/or exhibit double-centered cores (pictures attached)
- Prices will remain steady through the end of the storage season
- Limited supplies of packer label sweet and conventional yellow onions from Mexico (into Texas) are available
- Medium and jumbo sizes are most plentiful
- Colossal stocks are limited; super colossal supplies are extremely limited
- Texas-grown MFC Red, White, and Yellow Onions are forecast to enter the market at the end of March and remain available through May
- Spring/fresh-run onions will have feathery skins and light color/exterior skin compared to Northwest storage onions
- MFC Red, White, and Yellow Onions will become available the first week of May
- The region is experiencing ideal weather conditions; crop growth is ahead of schedule
- MFC Red, White, and Yellow Onions are forecast to hit the market in late May
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2017 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.