UPDATE SUMMARY: WEEK OF OCTOBER 26, 2020
- Markon First Crop Strawberries are available in both plastic and recyclable cardboard clamshells
- Strawberries are maturing/coloring before they reach full size due to recent high heat, resulting in smaller fruit
- Potential quality challenges include softness, decay, and sunburn
- Cold-chain management remains a vital component in maximizing shelf-life
Transition from Salinas Valley
- Row crop harvesting will begin to wind down in the Salinas Valley as November begins, with supplies transitioning south throughout the month
- Production in the Arizona/California desert region will ramp up starting the first week of November and become the primary growing region by late November
- Celery harvesting will begin in the Oxnard, California region in early November; Coachella, Santa Maria, and Yuma will supplement production through the fall and into the spring
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2020 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.