LIVE FROM THE FIELDS: Ash in Salinas Valley Produce
Watch the latest Markon Live from the Fields video regarding ash from wildfires affecting produce crops in the Salinas Valley.
- The River Fire in Salinas, California is covering the entire valley in smoke and ash
- Harvesting crews will not be able to remove the ash completely from commodity and value-added items such as broccoli, lettuce, strawberries, and other crops
- The entire industry will face this issue for well after the fire is put out and at present it’s only at 7% containment
- As air quality worsens, farmworker safety concerns may cause harvest cancelations and product shortages
- Markon inspectors are monitoring conditions closely and will update further as needed
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for further information.
©2020 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.