LIVE FROM THE FIELDS: Ash Update
Watch the latest Markon Live from the Fields video regarding the impact of wildfire ash on various produce packs.
- Markon First Crop Green Leaf, Iceberg, and Romaine packs are being substituted with Markon Best Available due to ash on the product that cannot be removed
- Ready-Set-Serve (RSS) Washed & Trimmed (W&T) Deli Leaf, Green Leaf, and Romaine packs may temporarily contain the attached quality-alert flyer to communicate these industry challenges to end users
- The River Fire in Salinas, California has burned 39,464 acres and is only 9% contained
- Firefighters are working to prevent the River Fire from merging with a separate Carmel Fire that has burned 4,732 acres and is 0% contained
Falling ash from both events is affecting all produce crops throughout the Salinas Valley
- Field-packed items that are not washed are the most affected
- Lightly processed items such as W&T Green Leaf and Romaine may require additional rinsing under cold, clean, running water to remove fine ash particles
- Further processed items such as RSS Chopped Romaine and Salad Mix will have virtually no ash particles due to a more thorough wash process
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for further information.
©2020 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.
August 21, 2020