LIVE FROM THE FIELDS: Broccoli Supplies
View a Markon Live from the Fields video regarding quality defects caused by persistent heat and humidity in Salinas and Santa Maria, California.
- The Salinas and Santa Maria regions have experienced persistent heat and high humidity for over a month
- All Salinas row crops have been affected, but perhaps none more than broccoli
- Growers are experiencing up to 50% yield loss due to high amounts of pin rot
- Some pin rot will visible in finished commodity and value-added broccoli packs despite efforts to avoid it by harvesting crews
- Expect elevated prices and extremely tight supplies through the remainder of the Salinas growing season
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for further information.
©2019 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.