LIVE FROM THE FIELDS: Huron, CA Iceberg Lettuce Update
Watch the latest Markon Live from the Fields video regarding upcoming iceberg lettuce harvesting in the Huron, California growing region.
- A small number of iceberg lettuce suppliers will start harvesting out of Huron later this week
- Production in this region will increase over the next two weeks, but most growers will continue to harvest in the Salinas Valley
- The quality and supply outlook is positive; stands are good and above-normal temperatures are aiding plant growth
A small amount of long core/seeder and sporadic Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus (TSWV) is present
- TSWV is carried over from summer tomato crops and not uncommon to see in fall Huron lettuce crops
- Unlike the widespread Impatiens Necrotic Spot Virus (INSV) recently seen in Salinas, TSWV is more easily detected and avoided
- Case weights for 24-count liner lettuce are expected to start out in the 37 to 42-pound range (compared to 39 to 46 pounds in Salinas)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for further information.
©2020 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.